Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, Wed Noon to 6:00 PM


Animal Control



Animal Control Officer: Desiree Hersom 

Phone: 207-313-0737
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Deputy Animal Control Officer: Jon Michael

Dog Licensing Information:

We begin licensing dogs, for the new year, on October 15th.

Current Dog Licenses Expire on December 31st. 

Late Fees take effect on February 1st 2023, $25.00 per dog.

Owners of unlicensed dogs are subject to fines and/or summons.

If you are new to town, please head over to the town office to either swap

over your registration if you have already paid in another town or get your

dog their tags today!


To obtain a dog registration visit the Clerk's Office or Department of Agriculture, Conservation, and Forestry Website.

Spayed/Neutered Dogs $6.00
Non-Spayed/Non-Neutered Dogs $11.00

⇒ Must have current rabies vaccination and spayed/neutered certificates.

Fee Chart:

License - Dog or Wolf Hybrid capable of producing young (unaltered dog)
Fee:  $11.00 each ($12.00 for online registration)
        Town Animal Welfare Account:  $0.00
        Animal Welfare Program:  $10.00
        Clerk Recording Fee:  $1.00

Late Fees: $25.00 per dog after January 31


License - Dog or Wolf Hybrid incapable of producing young (spayed/neutered)
Fee:  $6.00 each ($7.00 for online registration)
        Town Animal Welfare Account:  $2.00
        Animal Welfare Program:  $3.00
        Clerk Recording Fee:  $1.00

Late Fees:  $25.00 per dog after January 31


Kennel License - 5 or more dogs for the purposes set forth in Section 3907, Subsection 17
Fee:  $42.00
        Town Animal Welfare Account:  $10.00
        Animal Welfare Program:  $30.00
        Clerk Recording Fee:  $2.00

Late Fees:  $25.00 per dog after January 31


Replacement or transfer licenses-
Fee:  $1.00 per license

        Clerk filing fee: $1.00



The purpose of the Animal Welfare Program is to ensure humane and proper treatment of animals by developing, implementing and administering a comprehensive program that upholds the animal welfare laws of Maine through communication, education and enforcement.

For more information from the Animal Welfare Program of Maine, please follow the listed links. 




ADCO (Animal Damage Control Officer). These are the workers who handle wildlife calls when ACO's are not certified to. They may come at a cost, and our ACO's are more than happy to funnel the calls for the residents. BUT should you be in a situation where a skunk, raccoon, beaver... anything not considered domestic... is bothering you at your home and this needs immediate attention, please contact an ADCO. 
Here are some of the locals:
Henry Carter of Albion: 660-2422
Don Levine of Winslow: 314-0969
John Lombardi of Winslow: 649-6949
Kenneth Murphy Jr. of Litchfield: 557-5717
Domonick Herman of Litchfield: 592-4409
Josh Stevens of Belgrade: 557-5250
Scroll to the botttom, type in your town and see all the agents willing to service your area!
This information was offered by a Warden. The Warden's Office and Inland Fisheries would ask that you call an ADCO. 
Game Warden Service:
Augusta 1-800-452-4664
Bangor 1-800-432-7381
Houlton 1-800-924-2261
State Police:
Augusta 207-624-7076
Bangor 207-973-3700
Houlton 207-532-5400
 Bats and Rabies 1
Bats are being increasingly implicated as reservoirs for strains of the rabies virus that can betransmitted to humans. Bats have small and very sharp teeth, and a bite can be difficult to detect. While not all batshave rabies, most human cases of rabies in the United States can be traced to bat bites.Rabies is a serious disease caused by a virus. The virus is carried in the saliva and neural tissueof infected mammals and can be transmitted to humans, most commonly through a bite. Themost commonly infected mammals in Maine are raccoons, skunks, foxes and bats.What you can do if you think you’ve been exposed to a bat:Any potential exposure to a bat requires a thoroughevaluation. Determine if there is any possibility that humancontact with the bat has occurred. These situations include:· Being bitten, scratched or having other direct contactwith a bat through a break in the skin or through themucous membranes of the eyes, nose or mouth.· Waking up from a deep sleep and finding a bat in the room.· Witnessing a bat in the room of a previously unattended child, a person with intellectualdisability or someone who has been drinking.· Finding a bat in the room with a pet that was unattended. (Usually a pet is foundcarrying a bat in its mouth.)If you believe that there has been contact with a person or a pet:· The bat should be captured for rabies testing.· If possible, contact an animal control officer, game warden or pest managementprofessional to capture live bats.
If you must capture the bat yourself, be sure to follow these steps:If you must capture the bat yourself, be sure to follow these steps:
1. Use caution and avoid direct contact with the bat; wear leather gloves if possible.
2. Wait until the bat lands and cover it with a small box, coffee can or other container.
3. Slip a piece of cardboard under the container to trap the bat.
4. Secure the bat by taping the cardboard tightly to the container.
5. Wash your hands with soap and water.
6. Call your local animal control officer, game warden or pest management professional toassist in arranging for rabies testing of the bat at the Maine Health and EnvironmentalTesting Laboratory.It is important to avoid damaging the bat’s head as it may hinder the ability for rabies testing tobe performed.If you cannot capture the bat for testing and you think you have been exposed:· If bitten, wash the wound with soap and water and contact your health care provider todiscuss medical treatment.· Contact your health care provider even if you were not bitten but expect that you mayhave been exposed to the bat. Medication may still be appropriate even in the absenceof a demonstrable bite, scratch or mucous membrane exposure.If the bat is still alive and there has been no exposure to people or pets:· Let the bat to leave on its own in the easiest way possible. Close off the room and closetdoors and open the windows. Turn on a light and watch the bat until it leaves.

Maine CDC rabies website: http://www.mainepublichealth.gov/rabies·

Maine CDC Health and Environmental Testing Laboratory rabies website:http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/public-health-systems/health-and-environmentaltesting/rabies/rabies.htm·

Maine Board of Pesticides Control “Got Pests?” website:http://www.maine.gov/dacf/php/gotpests/othercritters/bats.htm·

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife bats website:http://www.maine.gov/ifw/wildlife/human/lww_information/bats.html·

U.S. CDC Bats and Rabies website: http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/index.html

Rabies in Maine

Rabies in Maine 2


Quick Reference and Online Services

Do you have business to do at the Town Office, but you can’t make it in during our regular hours??

Visit our list of online resources.

Town Office

2986 Middle Road
Sidney, Maine 04330

(207) 547-3340
(207) 547-3159

(207) 547-5054  

Other Offices and Hours

Our Schools